By Kyan Tan on Ninja's Recipe Sharing Group
Note from Kyan: Beat the queue! Save $$ by barbecuing your own Bak Kwa. This is my first attempt but loving it and most importantly my son approves! No sweat, no smoke but tender juicy Bak Kwa! Perfect for CNY.
Prep time: 5 mins
Marinate: Minimum 2 hours
Cooking: 24 minutes per piece
- 250g Fresh Minced Meat (Use minced meat with some fat)
- Seasoning (To mix together):
- 7ml Light Soy Sauce
- 10ml Oyster Sauce
- 23ml Honey
- 1 teaspoon Fish Sauce
- 1.5 teaspoon Cooking Wine (Hua Tiao Chiew)
- 1/3 teaspoon Salt
- 50g Sugar
- A dash of White Pepper
1. Mix all the ingredients under seasoning in a bowl
2. Mix in the minced meat by stirring in one direction until the meat forms a thick paste. Chill for 2 hours in the fridge. I did not cover the meat to allow it to dry a little.
3. Preheat Ninja Foodi for 5 minutes at 140°C.
4. Spread the meat thinly onto the pan (half the portion of 250g). Note that once we bake it, the meat will shrink and thicken slightly. I use a silicon spatula and Ninja pan but you can substitute with something similar. Place it above the metal rack on the lower side.
5. Place it in the Ninja for 20 minutes but at the the 18th minute, flip once As it’s getting too hot. Tip: I use a silicon spatula and a flat wooden spatula to flip.
6. Without removing the pork, switch to Grill for 2 minutes. Flip again.
7. Continue to grill another minute and flip.
8. Grill for 1 final minute.
9. Flip and remove to cool on a piece of baking paper.
10. Repeat steps 4 to 9 to make the 2nd piece.
Tip: Do check occasionally while grilling to ensure Bak Kwa doesn’t get burnt.
Eat it while it’s hot or eat it hot with a bun! If there are any left, store in air tight container.
Images by Kyan Tan